Author Topic: Adding map pieces to SoM  (Read 6748 times)

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
Adding map pieces to SoM
« on: May 27, 2011, 03:23:06 pm »
To add custom map pieces to SoM you'l need to follow these instructions.
Please follow my tutorial on adding custom items to SoM. This process is exactly the same except for the tool commands you type into the command prompt.

The tools are:

x2msm : creates visible data.

x2mhm : creates collision data (this one isnt so easy to figure out.)

prtsedit : the parts editor that adds the map pieces to the map editor.

Okay... So basically if you wanted to create a map piece, save it as an x file as before.
However this time, type in any of the tools listed here for whatever function you wish to use that .x file for.

So lets just say you created a pillar in meta. Saved it as an x file called, say... buns.x in your tools folder, and you've got the command prompt up with your tools folder location.
You'd type x2msm.exe  buns.x

Take your files and place them in the corresponding folders in your data/map folders.
So say if you made an .msm piece it'd go into the msm folder.
Next, you'd open your prtsedit, not in the command editor. :wink:

(You might need to follow the attached picture file to follow this properly.)
Look for buns.msm in the msm dropdown list.
Assuming you've downloaded my mhm pack and placed the files in the correct location, select hightem.mhm in the collision data dropdown menu.
Assuming you've downloaded my icons pack, select a random icon of mine.
If you want to overwrite part 0, go ahead. Want to overwrite another? Type a different number, but you cant exceed the maximum. (The number being 1023)

Okay your piece should be available in the map editor.

Important notes

Dont exceed 2000 vertices for a single piece or the editor will crash, and possibly not be able to show in the runtime.
Be careful when creating faces. SoM has given me jip over this, but by copying and pasting the model it seems to negate this.
Creating full blocks are much better for maps. Creating half a block would require creating a corner to join it. Go easy on yourself. :smug:
Ive attached a door height template for meta which works with SoM's door stock objects.
The file castlegrass.mhm is for floors.
The file hightem.mhm is for pillars. It can be used for water too as the collision goes further down than normal.

Cheers.
Verdite

NEW: MHM tutorial

So i saw that there wasnt enough info on MHM pieces so ill do a quick guide on how to get it right the first time.

Flat mhm pieces

Providing the outer sections of the mhm piece are untouched (they dont dip, and they dont deviate from the other lines around them) then you can dip the central section easily, but creating a simple plane in the create primitive tab, then go to object > mesh smoothing > and select 2. You can dip the central vertice.
Make sure your sets have this setup. A simple, flat plane. This means that if you follow the rest of this section you'l have no problems.

Elevated pieces

Create a plane, click on move and select the far edge closest to the blue line (the z axis) when loading a piece into SOM the map piece will be facing towards the z axis. (north.) Remember this z axis rule for SOM or you'l have alot more work.
Go to the Y axis in the move panel. Input 45. This is 45 degrees.  :smile:

Create a new primitive. Click on the face (the gray bit) and move it up on the Y by inputting 45 again.
The plane will be at the right level.

Corners

Creating corners was a pain for me, until i realised how simple it was.
> Elevated corners
Create a plane, and divide it by four by using the object > mesh smoothing > and select 2 method.
Click the vertice on the top right, and the vertice in the center. Move them up by inputting 45.

> Corridor corners

This ones probably the hardest for anyone new to metaseq.
Create your corridor. If you want to practice, create a plane and extrude (use extrd) it upwards a good way.
Remove both faces (gray areas) on the z axis. (see pic 1)

Use create, and click on face in the create box. Lower your view so you are click on the four corners of the lowest sections of the box. (red squares in pic)
You'l create a bottom for your box. Now select all, go to selected and click invert.
If your created face isnt there it means you havent clicked on the right object in the obj panel.
Now its quite simple. Simply delete the face on the X axis. Then create a face on the Z axis. (see pic.)

You'l need to manually project your texture onto the faces.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 03:54:50 pm by Verdite »

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
Re: Adding map pieces to SoM
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 06:37:24 pm »
Good simple explanation.
The swapper tool here might work well with your directions. :wink:

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 12:19:05 pm »
Updated this tutorial.

Whats the swapper tool for?

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 05:32:08 pm »
It lets you auto-swap out map Pieces rather than overwrite the old ones, so you can use either the new or the old.

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 05:56:14 pm »
Does anyone know what the optimise flag means?

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 10:48:59 pm »
The settings have to do with when a map piece 'pops' invisible as it goes out of view behind a wall etc. So it 'optimizes' a map by drawing as few Pieces on screen as possible- not a good thing since modern hardware can easily handle drawing all map Pieces. I would just leave the flags unchecked or leave 'Optimize Map' unchecked when you compile your map in the Map editor. Then they won't blink out when they go behind stuff.

Offline Creatura

• Austin Lyle Forester
  • Capricorn Crusher
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 02:44:03 am »
Oh I wanted to ask you this long before but every time I logged in the forum I forgot it.  :sweatdrop:

So I don't like the water tile in the editor because it is too unrealistic.
I can make transparent water tile but can I make it move?

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 03:55:17 pm »
Done a quick update on mhm creation.

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 09:34:28 am »
I would like to redo this tutorial and finalise it. If anyone has any new findings please let me know so I can add it in.

Would people prefer an image tutorial or a video tutorial? Do ya like mah sekhsay voice?!  :drool:

Offline JC Bailey

• Keeper
  • Administrator
  • Decked in Promeus
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 11:34:29 am »
I found the video tutorials you sent me very informative, just make sure you record the mouse. :tongue:
🎮 Indie RPG developer.

Twitter: twitter.com/JC_Bailey1112